Posted on June 2, 2014 by Admin
The real theme of each and every manufacturing sector is to deliver products of best quality at the lowest possible production costs. A major part of production costs are drawn by electrical energy, industries are making use of energy management systems to ensure energy efficiency and thereby obtain greater cost savings.
Energy management involves real-time data collection of electrical parameters within the plant, data analysis, data interpretation and implementation of energy saving measures. All these procedures are designed to take place within a closed loop thus ensuring a centralized control on the system.
Components of energy management network:
- A well-equipped computer system installed with the ideal energy management software.
- Remote meters which involve in collection of data.
- Components such as data converters, data concentrators, data repeaters and network cables in ensuring transfer of digital data to the computer
Locations such as Load centers, power control centers, receiving station and other control centers in the industry will be installed with meters which can measure various electrical parameters including current, voltage, power factor, frequency, power demand etc. The measured parameters are transferred to the energy management software through the network.
The system for energy management can offer the following data to the energy managers;
- Performance analysis and reports
- Overall Energy consumption and cost reports
- Energy consumption reports of specific components
- Alarm during undesired events
The data offered by an EMS is an indicator for energy efficiency as it gives a clear picture on specific components which are not offering efficient performance up to the required level.
Benefits of Energy Management System:
- Constant monitoring of system health conditions
- Alarms during conditions such as overloading, fault, low power factor, under voltage problems etc.
- Warning for load shedding of non-critical loads
If the backbone of an industry is energy then the backbone of energy is EMS which can maintain a steady efficiency in energy utility.